When they said JET would be like a roller coaster…they were not lying.
It’s been very up and down for me the past month or so. I’ve gone through a roller coaster of emotions and situations and right now, I’m just stressing so much about it.
So here’s what’s been going on.
1.) I got one email from my supervisor saying they were some sending me some papers. I should confirm when I got them.
2.) Those papers came in the mail last Monday while I was in Bowling Green hanging out with a a friend. I was so excited to look at them because I was sure all of my answers would be in those papers. Surely I’d get a nice package of information about Yamanashi along with my contract, my pred’s name, and where I’d be living, right?
4.) I did get my contract and some very general information about being an ALT. But the only useful information in that packet was that my accommodation would be approximately 20 minutes away from my school.
5.) After a week of asking my friends and find asking the girl I thought might be my pred, I’ve found out the following things:
- Most likely my potential pred is my actual pred. There are only two people leaving from there, a guy and a girl. At first, the guy was my pred. But now SHE’s my pred. But it’s still not confirmed until she gets the documentation.
- The guy lives in a house, and the girl lives in an apartment. The guy’s landlady is giving the house to her daughter after he moves out. Meaning they have to find a new apartment for the incoming JET.
- I am not getting my pred’s apartment.
- According to my friends, the BOE is slowly moving JETs to teacher housing, meaning everyone stays in the same building. There’s one open apartment next to one of my friends, but it’s northeast of where I thought I would be and a good 10-20 minutes farther away from my schools.
- I will probably be getting this apartment.
- NOTHING COMES WITH THIS APARTMENT BECAUSE IT’S NEW. As in, probably not even a washing machine or a fridge or TV or anything.
- My pred has been charged with moving her stuff to the new apartment, as in, whatever I choose to buy from her, she will have to move it to the new apartment before she leaves. The same goes for the guy. He has to move the stuff from his house to HER apartment.
- Because HIS successor is taking HER apartment.
- The whole reason for this shuffle is because the house is being taken. Also, my pred’s apartment would actually be closer to guy’s schools whereas my potential apartment would be way farther away.
- Basically, putting us this way means it’s an equal commute for both of us.
6.) My pred wants $4000 for all of her stuff, including her car. I…I just cannot…
7.) I seriously can’t. I cannot afford that. I asked her how much just car would be, and she said $3000. I can’t even afford that. She’s trying to tell me that it’ll be hard to find a car in that area in good condition that doesn’t need the insurance or shakken updated soon. But according to my two friends, you can find a decent car for cheaper than that. If I paid $3000, it would be over 36,0000 yen. It would work out in HER favor.
8.) Also, I don’t feel like the rest of her stuff is worth $1000. My friends say I can replace everything for $500.
9.) My pred wants to know ASAP if I want anything, though. On one hand, I get it. She only has a month to sell all of her stuff. On the other hand, REALLY? There’s no way I can afford that.
So, this situation isn’t ideal. I haven’t heard a single thing since I got those papers and have had to be proactive myself and find this information out. I’ve found out that sometimes that’s what you have to do on JET.
On the brighter side, my friends are helping me a lot. I feel kind of bad hitting them with so many questions, but this kind of stuff requires help. And they get it. They were in the same position a year or so ago. My friend who I will probably be moving next to said I could borrow some stuff from her until I can buy my own stuff. Which is SUPER nice of her, and she seriously doesn’t have to do that. At least one of my friends will be close by.
Plus, even though I have to buy a lot of stuff myself, I’m kind of looking forward to it. I want to go shopping for home stuff and set up my own apartment. Buying my pred’s stuff would be easier, but it wouldn’t feel like it was MINE.
This whole experience has been frustrating, but it’s taught me how I want to be when I leave JET. I want to be a good pred. I want to be proactive and leave my successor with a crap-ton of information. I want to talk to them and answer any tiny little questions they’ll have. I want to be fair about what I’ll leave for them.
I think that’s part of why I chose this username. I want to be “that girl” on JET. The girl that cares…maybe a little too much. ^_^